MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT ROBERT L. JEFFS
Annual Bar Survey of Programs and Services
The Bar Commission is interested in your feedback on the programs and services being provided by the Bar. Your responses will help us determine how we can do things better to serve your needs and those of the public and how we can be more efficient in performing our regulatory responsibilities for the Utah Supreme Court. If you would like to take the survey please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your bar number, first and last name, and we will send you the link to the survey.
The survey will only take a few minutes to complete and your input will help us tremendously.
Summer Convention in Sun Valley was a marvelous success! Thank you to our speakers and presenters for an educational and motivating summer getaway. In Justice Clarence Thomas' keynote address, he spoke about his duties and the isolation the nine justices feel as they serve on the nation's high court. He said that speaking to groups like ours, "allow(s) me to come out and see the people who really matter in our government, and that is you all." Justice Thomas was refreshingly humorous and upfront in his address. Truly, the bar has been set high as we plan future events. We fully expect that you are making plans now to join us at the 2011 Summer Convention July 7th through July 9th in San Diego, California. Convention planners are already busy putting together another stellar group of speakers and CLE events that you won't want to miss.
August 2010 E-News
* Annual Award Recipients
* Utah Supreme Court Committee Vacancy
* 2010 Fall Forum Awards
* Change to Utah Rules of Civil Procedure 64D. Writ of garnishment
* Bar Election Information Available on the Web
1. Annual Award Recipients - The Bar wishes to congratulate Judge Robert Hilder who was selected as Judge of the Year and Judge Pam Greenwood who was recognized with a Distinguished Judicial Service Award. Randy Dryer was awarded Lawyer of the Year. Each of these award recipients has a long history of professionalism, public service and personal dedication to the building up of the legal profession. Also given awards at the 2010 Summer Convention were the Bar Examiner Committee and the Military Law Section as Committee and Section of the year, respectively.
2. Utah Supreme Court Committee Vacancy - The Supreme Court is seeking applicants for an attorney to serve on the Civil Procedures Committee. Applicants should be experienced in civil litigation and the rules of procedure. To apply, submit a letter of interest and a brief resume to Tim Shea at email@example.com or Administrative Office of the Courts / P.O. Box 140241 / Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-0241. The deadline for applications is August 30th. To help stagger the terms of all committee members, the initial appointment will be for two years and for four years thereafter. The committee meets about nine times per year, usually on the fourth Wednesday of the month, from 4:00 to 6:00 in the Administrative Office of the Courts at the Matheson Courthouse. If you would like more information about the committee, please visit the committee's webpage http://www.utcourts.gov/committees/civproc/.
3. 2010 Fall Forum Awards - The Board of Bar Commissioners is seeking nominations for the 2010 Fall Forum Awards. Award nominations must be submitted in writing to Christy Abad, Executive Secretary, 645 South 200 East, Suite 310, Salt Lake City, UT 84111, no later than Monday, September 3, 2010. The award categories include Distinguished Community Member Award, Professionalism Award, Pro Bono Lawyer of the Year. View a list of past award recipients at: http://www.utahbar.org/members/awards_recipients.html
4. Change to Utah Rules of Civil Procedure 64D. Writ of garnishment - Effective July 1, 2010 garnishees are no longer required to file a copy of completed answers to interrogatories with the clerk of the court. Answers to interrogatories must still be filed with the plaintiff/judgment creditor and defendant/employee as well as any other person shown by the records of the garnishee to have an interest in the property. To see the revised rule, visit http://www.utcourts.gov/resources/rules/urcp/urcp064d.html.
5. Bar Election Information Available on the Web - Nominating petitions for Commission elections in the First and Third Divisions for the 2011 election may be obtained on the Bar's website at http://www.utahbar.org/elections/commission_elections.html. Completed petitions must be received no later than February 1, 2011.
"I have a question or comment for the Bar President" - President@utahbar.org