The Republic of Palau, an island nation in the Western Pacific, is seeking applicants for Assistant Attorney General positions. Positions are available in criminal prosecution and civil litigation.
Palau is located approximately 500 miles south of the Philippines. It has a tropical climate, with year-round temperatures averaging 80-88 degrees, and is routinely highlighted in diving magazines as one of the best scuba diving spots in the world.
Palau’s system of justice is based on the U.S. legal system and English is one of the official languages of Palau.
Attorneys in the Criminal division perform the following duties:
• Represent the Republic of Palau in prosecuting criminal cases from trial through appellate level
• Participate in training law enforcement, including training design and implementation
• Establish good relationships with law enforcement
• Work with law enforcement to draft search warrants
• Review police reports and prepare charging documents
• Advise law enforcement concerning ongoing investigations
• Maintain a professional relationship with the court staff and defense bar
Applicants for this position must have prior felony prosecution experience and significant trial experience. A strong work ethic, positive attitude, and willingness to work as part of a team are required. Criminal attorneys may be asked to assist the civil division as needed (drafting rules/ regulations, commenting on legislation, reviewing contracts).
Duties for attorneys in the civil division include:
• Advising agencies of the executive branch on legal and administrative matters
• Pursuing civil enforcement actions to enjoin unlawful conduct and to recover monies owed the Republic
• Defending the Republic and all Ministries in civil litigation including land cases, tort cases, immigration cases, election cases, and personnel actions, among others.
• Drafting rules and regulations for executive branch agencies
• Reviewing and recommending adoption of international treaties and conventions, and represents the Republic at international meetings and conferences
• Reviewing and providing comments on legislation proposed by the national legislature and drafting legislation introduced by the executive branch to the legislature
• Drafting and reviewing contracts and agreements entered into by the Republic, and advising agencies on procurement matters
Work is diverse and challenging in a relaxed yet professional atmosphere. Candidates should have strong analytic, writing and interpersonal skills and an ability to adapt well to cultural differences.
Graduation from an accredited law school, membership in a U.S. state bar and at least three years of legal experience are required. Salary is $40,000-$50,000 per annum with additional benefits including paid vacation and sick leave, roundtrip airfare and shipping of household effects.
In order to apply, please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three letters of reference (at least one from a former employer) by e-mail or fax to:
Office of the Attorney General, Republic of Palau
PO Box 1365
Koror, PW 96940
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Please indicate in the subject matter of your email which position you are seeking.
Due to the large number of applicants we have had in the past, responses will only be sent to applicants selected for an interview. Interviews will be by telephone or with a representative of the Attorney General’s Office via Skype.
CLOSING DATE FEBRUARY 15, 2013