"and Justice for all" strives to facilitate equal access to justice for all citizens regardless of their ability to pay for legal assistance. In order to meet the increasing need for quality, free civil legal assistance for these underrepresented individuals, the major providers of free civil legal services throughout Utah co-founded the "and Justice for all" fundraising campaign in 1999. The Campaign established a stable source of funding from the legal community to support the programs of the Disability Law Center, Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake and Utah Legal Services to ensure access to the justice system for the state's most disadvantaged citizens.
Contributions from members of Utah's legal community who understand the importance of the state's free civil legal services providers have made ours one of the most successful private bar campaigns in the country, starting a new Utah tradition of attorney support for legal services. Since "and Justice for all" 's inception two years ago, attorney support for the state's civil legal services agencies has increased from under five percent to over one-third of Utah's Bar membership. The Campaign asks attorneys to donate the monetary equivalent of two billable hours annually. "and Justice for all" continues to expand its efforts to address the issues that impact the delivery of civil legal services to the state's most disadvantaged citizens. Reflecting the Campaign's growth and development, ways in which to give to "and Justice for all" have become more numerous and varied.
In addition to pledges from law firms and individual attorneys, the Campaign has received support from a number of foundations and corporate sponsors. "and Justice for all" has also been the beneficiary of some creative contributions from attorneys and others who support our mission. These include:
- Transferring stocks or other securities to the Campaign.
- Planned giving.
- Donating expert witness fees, unexpected rebate checks and even football/basketball pool winnings.
Some law firms and corporations partner with their employees in making charitable gifts. Donors are encouraged to check with their firm or company for these options, which include:
- Employer matching of employees' charitable gifts.
- Contributing via payroll deduction. This is a convenient way for government employees to support the Campaign. This option is currently available for state employees through the Utah State Employees Charitable Fund. "and Justice for all" is in the process of arranging for the payroll deduction opportunity for federal, county and municipal employees, as well.
- Another original and generous gift to "and Justice for all" is Campaign Chair Alan Sullivan's donation of all royalties from the sales of his new book, A Lawyer's Guide to Utah's New Civil Discovery Rules. David Sonnenreich and Insight Publishing will also make a contribution to the Campaign for each book sold. To date, this endeavor has raised over $3,600 for "and Justice for all." To order this book, contact Insight Publishing, Inc., 1113 Boston Building, #9 Exchange Place, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111, (801) 359-4545.
"and Justice for all" also welcomes in-kind support, such as hosting a fundraiser or special event. To kick off last year's Campaign, the Park City Bar Association and Rick and Andy Barros hosted an event in Deer Valley. If you or someone you know would like to host a fundraiser in your community, or if you have questions or suggestions about alternative ways to contribute, please call us at (801) 257-5519.
ALL DONATIONS, IN ANY FORM, ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND ENABLE UTAH'S LEGAL SERVICES AGENCIES TO EFFICIENTLY PROVIDE HIGH QUALITY LEGAL SERVICES IN THE AREAS OF GREATEST NEED. "AND JUSTICE FOR ALL" THANKS ALL THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED THE VISION OF EQUAL ACCESS TO JUSTICE FOR ALL UTAHNS, AND WHO HAVE HELPED MAKE "AND JUSTICE FOR ALL" THE ATTORNEYS' CHARITY OF CHOICE.
An attorney's contribution to "and Justice for all" will meet all or a portion of his or her obligation under Rule 6.1 of the Utah Rules of Professional Conduct. The suggested contribution is the dollar equivalent of two billable hours. Donations are tax-deductible. Checks should be made payable to "and Justice for all" and remitted to 225 South, 200 East, Suite 200, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111.